Tuesday 21 April 2015

Hi People!

I felt the need to write this little blurb as I get criticized for my prices still, so though I would write an explanation as why my prices are what they are. :-)

When this started it was just a little hobby so I have tried my best to meet the demand. This has meant a LOT of work and I even took the biggest risk ever and gave up my day job in order to try and do all of this.

I originally wasn't getting fabric direct from the supplier so fabric alone was costing me £45 ($67) per shirt, £5 ($7.5) for cottons, interfacing and buttons and would take me a whole day to make. I was charging £150 ($223) per shirt because of this as I had to make it worth my time. Most of the commissions for different fabrics I take on now still cost this due to not being able to get smaller amounts of fabric from the manufacturer. 

I  now get most of my fabric from the manufacturer directly so including the shipping and customs charges I have managed to get my prices down to about £35 ($52) for all my costs and they still take a day to make which is £50 ($75) for a days hard work!

I put all my creative ability into each piece of clothing I make and have worked hard to try and make sure there are shirts readily available to go so it does make me feel sad when people criticize me for my prices after all that I am doing to try and make this happen.

Yes it is a bit pricey, but they are hand made, they are different and 'niche' and they are good quality that will last you!
If you want a plain cheap shirt then I am sure you can buy these inexpensively from Primark or Wallmart.
On the positive, the people that have bought my shirts have been really pleased with the quality of fabric and have said some very humbling and lovely things.
I appreciate they are not for everyone and I am sorry I can't bring my prices down anymore.

I have given up a secure income to try and make this work and despite what people think I am not rolling in cash! I barely make enough to cover my bills and month to month is a scary place near to my household bills being due!

I am sorry if this comes across as a bit negative. I am not a negative person and this is supposed to be more of an awareness writing rather than attacking. :-)

I hope you all understand where I am coming from. I was in two minds whether to write this or not as I am sure this will get some backlash which is not my intention.
One thing I have learnt in life is that you never can please everyone.

Thank you to all of the people that have shown me support. Your comments, emails and messages are what keeps me motivated and humble! It means more than you could ever realise!
<3

Thanks for reading my babble! :-)

Elly x
www.ellyprizeman.com


No comments:

Post a Comment